held at: GANDER MOUNTIAN, FRANKLIN, WI
The meeting was called to order by President John Durben at 10:05 AM. There were four members present, Mike Staggs of the DNR and two guests.
The notes as taken of our last meeting by Mona Durben were published and approved as the official minutes, as there was no secretary to take minutes at this meeting.
Treasurer Cornell Stroik read the financial report as was published for the meeting. The report showed that we had $5,742.80 in the checking account and $3,064.36 C.A.S.T. savings account. A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the report as published.
The issue of finding a Secretary for the organization was addressed. Ron Gray noted that he had talked with Brenda Rosin Schaff of the Badger Fisherman's League about taking the position. He noted she had some questions but he felt she may be interested. She will be taking the chair position of the Kids Fishing clinics upon Wayne Avery’s retirement which has a direct tie to the WCSFO. She was unable to attend the meeting today because of a previous family commitment. He stated if she did not take the position he would find someone that will and the organization should move forward with that in mind.
Cornell Stroik reported on Wisconsin Bass Nation, Wisconsin Bass Federation and tournament fishing.
Mike Staggs gave the DNR Fisheries report. He reported on the following and supplied hand outs with some of the topics.
- The Wisconsin Fishing Report – Now sorted by spices, Fishing Regulations same as last year. Changes only every other year.
- Planning for Pan fish – A survey of what the angler would like from pan fishing. Results could affect size limits, bag limits, season limits.
- Working Relationship between Wisconsin Conservation Congress & DNR Fisheries Management Create a Fisheries Advisory Council. President Durben (representing WCSFO) was invited to a Round Table Meeting in Madison recently; however had scheduling problems on that day. Additional meetings will be scheduled in the future.
- Spring Hearings & Fisheries Questions – Simplifying Regulations, April 8th all counties. Several Hearing Questions were discussed: Question #3 — Rough Fish Spearing Seasons, Question #4 — Apply Northern Bass management Zone catch and release season to smallmouth bass only and Question #6 — Allow trolling statewide. Wisconsin is the only state that does not allow statewide motor trolling.
- Hatchery Study – Results of the study and executive summary of how changes will be implemented.
- Driftless Area Streams – A master plan on how to manage 35,000 acres of stream shoreline properties.
Wisconsin Wildlife Federation – No report
Kids Fishing Clinics – Ron Gray reported that we now have fishing clinics in the following Counties. Milwaukee 11 Parks, Racine 1 Park, Sheboygan 1 Park, Washington 1 Park and Waukesha 3 Parks and we have 19 clubs participating. The next clinic meeting date will be March 21st with the spring clinics taking place on April 13th. He also report on the ice fishing clinics which took place on February 9th.
Lake Access: North Lake access site — construction is planned for this spring based on the last information from the DNR.
1. Kids fishing hand books - It was reported that the supply has been used and we will need a new printing for next year. It was noted that some of the club logo info needs to be updated. Ron Gray will work with Ted Lind to get the information necessary for updating the books/logos for this printing. He will also try to get more donations and club participation through the clinic meetings for future printings.
2. Club Dues – After discussion a motion was made seconded and passed that the dues structure for membership in the WCSFO remain the same as last year and that invoices be sent out to the clubs.
Club News — No Club news reported
Meeting Adjourned at Approximately 12:30 PM
Next meeting scheduled for October 19, 2013
Respectfully Submitted: Ron Gray – Acting Secretary
Click Here (for PDF version)